About St. Francis
St. Francis Episcopal Church was established as a mission of the Diocese of Texas in 1949 and became a parish church in 1952 to serve a developing suburb of Houston known as Memorial. As the Memorial neighborhood has grown and matured, so has our church and our parish community.
Located on 15.4 wooded acres in Piney Point Village, our campus includes both the church and our parish school, St. Francis Episcopal Day School
. The school began with a pre-school class of 24 children in 1952, and today is the largest K-8 Episcopal parish day school in the United States.
Our church’s first rector, the Rev. G. Richard Wheatcroft, served from 1949 until 1990, and our parish hall is named in his honor. The first sanctuary was dedicated in September of 1957, and our current sanctuary was completed in 2001 in conjunction with a large expansion of the day school.
Today St. Francis is led by our rector, the Rev. Stuart A. Bates, and our clergy
with support from our church vestry
. Our warm and helpful staff
runs church operations, including programs, outreach, communications, facilities, and business administration. Additionally, many parishioners volunteer their time both at St. Francis and in our Outreach programs
, and we encourage new members to become involved.
A more detailed parish history page includes information about our founding, our buildings and artwork, and interesting events in our history.
Within the Body of Christ, the St. Francis community is committed to nurturing the spiritual, educational, and physical development of all God's people.